Sunday, October 30, 2011

Eagle Medallion




A little over a year ago I was contacted by Sue Wildemuth from Illinois Quilt History and asked to do a commission for a project she was starting. Sue has a particular interest in Eagle Quilts, and has quite a collection of them. She features them on her Eagle Quilts: Antique, Vintage, and New Quilt History Study CD for sale on her website.


She told me she wanted to commission a Miniature Historical Eagle Quilt for each decade from 1790 to the present, and asked me to participate. I said I would love to! I picked the 1860's, which is my favorite decade for quilts, textiles, and clothing. The quilt had to be 24 x 24, or smaller, be a reproduction of a quilt from your decade, or in the style of, and of course, have an eagle in it!


I started searching for inspiration, and found it on page 123 of Kiracofe's The American Quilt. It's a four block, appliqued, red and green quilt from northeastern Ohio. Who doesn't love red and green?!




And here is what my interpretation looks like. Although the original has reverse applique, mine is all regular applique, and I embroidered the tendrils in silk.





Here's a closeup of the head.





Sue hopes to have the quilts exhibited at sites around the country in the near future. I'm hoping my Quilt History Study Group can bring the exhibit here to town for the AQS show next year. I'll post more info about where you can see the quilts when it's available.


I had a great time being involved in the project. Thanks so much for asking me Sue!

21 comments:

Karen said...

You certainly accomplished what was asked from you. A beauty. I like eagles on quilts. This is an interesting one.

Donna Keating said...

An excellent interpretation. Would love to see that traveling exhibit.

Dorothy said...

Love the quilt and your eagle.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa! Your eagle is such a handsome fellow! I really like your version. What a nice thing to be involved with. I look forward to seeing the rest of the eagle quilts from the project.

Susie said...

I love eagle quilts and yours is wonderful. Great work.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Lisa, Your Eagle is perfectly in every way. Lovely applique work. Great job. Hugs Judy

Cheryl said...

Beautiful interpretation and such gorgeous work! Would love to see the exhibit if it comes to a place near me. Congratulations on a job well done.

Me and My Stitches said...

I love your eagle quilt - what an honor. I hope the exhibit comes to Iowa!

Beth said...

The Eagle quilt! It looks fantastic, Lisa, as we knew it would :-) You are such an accomplished needlewoman.

Beth

Mary said...

I love the Kiracofe book for inspiration. To me, it's a must own. You did a fantastic job on your block. I can't believe how tiny AND round your berries are - absolutely amazing!

Lori said...

What a fun project to be a part of. Your quilt is really wonderful. I really love eagle quilts!

Dawn said...

Fabulous job! Your work is beautiful - from thedesign, fabric selection and finishing.
So inspiring - thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

great Eagle quilt! Your stitching is beautiful and the finished piece is just lovely!

Janet said...

I love your interpretation, you really nailed it. How exciting to be involved in the project!

Sheila said...

Lisa,
Lovely eagle quilt. Way to go!

Quilt Station said...

Wow Lisa, that is such a gorgeous quilt. Noted the Smithsonian fabric in there too :-)
You've done a great job, I'll bet you're pleased with the result. Congratulations
M x

Jan said...

I love eagle quilts, and adore the one that you have made. Don't think I could part with it, though!

Janet said...

Love the Eagle. Your stitches are beautiful and you did a great job
on the quilting.
What an inspiration.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! That quilt is so stunning! I love it!
It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world!

antique quilter said...

just beautiful
I have such a fondness for eagle quilts , perfect choice.
I sure hope it travels to the east coast would love to see your beautiful quilt in person.

thanks for sharing, I just love it
Kathie

Sandra said...

Love, love, love it! Every time I see another wonderful figural in the project I wish I had done an applique but... then again my 1830 flying geese is different. I'm so glad you are part of the project too.
Mine is on my 2nd blog
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com