Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tablecloths and Quilts

I haven't been around much lately due to complications with my leg, but I'm finally on the mend. I hope. :)

I know a lot of people who have been collecting the Sophia Pearce fabrics for their Morrell and other Broderie Perse quilts. Every time I see some of the line, it sucks the wind out of me and I think "I HAVE to buy it!" Except for this one.




Although when I would see it I would still think "Sophia Pearce!," I couldn't for the life of me think of what I would do with it. I mean, it looks like a tablecloth! Doesn't it? I hated to pass it up, but seriously, I couldn't imagine how I would use it.


Until I saw this..............



Then I almost broke a leg (hopefully not the good one) getting back to the store to buy it. This is one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen. A friend tipped me off to a new (to me) blog, Linen Closet Quilts, and when I popped over there, this is what greeted me. I emailed Dawn, who put me in touch with Cynthia Collier, the quilt's maker. She calls it Travels in Time, after the Kaye England fabric in the corner blocks. If you want to read more about the quilt, visit Linen Closet Quilts, where Cynthia shared the story behind it, and be sure to stay and check out the rest of Dawn's great blog. If you went to Houston and saw the quilt there and have additional photos, I would love to see them.


Now for the fabric. Some Art Fabric has some of the Sophia Pearce fabrics still available. If you prefer the green version, you can get that here. I can also give you the phone #'s for the stores in town that still have it if you email me. They each had a full bolt of blue and green when the sale started, and they do ship.


And speaking of hard to find fabrics, I saw this wonderful toile (that I didn't have!) on Jeanneke's Blog, and she was kind enough to tell me the name of the line.



It took me a few weeks, but I finally tracked it down. If anyone else wants some, it's at Prairie Rose Quilt Shop, and I checked and she does ship internationally. Good luck!


I'm off to pack. Tomorrow I head to Shipshewana for a Midwest Fabric Study Group meeting on Signature Quilts. Coincidentally, there is also a Dear Jane retreat in the same hotel! I know lots of people are going to be there, so if you see someone with purple glasses and purple Uggs, stop and say Hi.

8 comments:

Quilt Station said...

Hi Lisa, glad to hear you're up and about again.
I love toiles too and that one is gorgeous.
And yes Cynthia's quilt is stunning, I noticed it yesterday on a blog and was amazed...more so now when I see what she started with, yeah I would have passed that up too.
Enjoy your study group, til soon M

antique quilter said...

So happy to hear your getting better and going away for the weekend!
enjoy your study group and thanks for the info about the fabrics, ah yes....
you cost me some money !!!!! This toile is just BEAUTIFUL and I love that as a border.
Thank you!
Kathie

Janet said...

I hope you continue to feel better. The quilt is gorgeous, really beautiful so thank you for the links. I'm always on the lookout for broderie perse and coloured toiles. You're going to have a great time at the quilt study, I'll look forward to hearing all about it.

Karen said...

I saw that quilt on Linen Closet Quilts but had not thought about the border of the quilt being a printed fabric. Just perfect.

Lori said...

I'm so glad no bones were broken making your way back to the quilt shop! LOL
What a lovely way to use that fabric!! Perfect in every way!

The toile is crazy gorgeous!!!

Miriam said...

The first time I saw that blue fabric it was made up into a skirt!!! A few days later I found it in a fabric shop and bought some. I really love how Cynthia used the fabric in that quilt! Stunning!!!
That toile is amazing!!! Thank you for the links.

Best wishes for a swift recovery with your leg.

cynthia collier said...

I have enjoyed seeing Travels In Time on your blog and reading all the comments from your followers, Lisa. Thank you!
I never thought of those vintage tablecloths in connection with this fabric...but I will now!
I have a tip for anyone wanting to use it as a border. The quilt measures 74" by 74". Unlike the usual process of designing from the center out, I started at the border and designed into the center to make the corners of the border come out evenly.
I noticed the fabric is sold out now on the links you gave and can't wait to see what everyone does with it!
Cynthia

Unknown said...

I saw an amazing pierce broderie applique piece, 4 to 5 feet square, stretched now on a wooden frame like an oil painting. It hangs in the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis, and has a date on the front of 1789. There was nothing at all said about it; it was just the backdrop for a loom display. I suspect it was a table cloth for decorative table. The pierce broderie cut outs were entirely edged in single-thread button stitch with proportions of less than 1/8 of an inch.