Sunday, October 31, 2010

A block and a box

First for the update. There was some confusion about what kind of bat I had an encounter with, which was my fault. It was the furry kind. In trying to get away from it and get the door shut, I ran into the end of a 1x4 on my shoe rack, and cut my leg to the bone. It's finally getting better, and I get the stitches out on Friday. Being laid up all week, I actually got some sewing done. Here is my first Roseville Album block. I had a blast doing this, and while I usually stress out about picking out the fabrics, with this, kind of anything goes. I'm really happy with it, and will be prepping the next block this week. For some reason, the picture doesn't show how bright it really is, so I'll try to take one in the daytime this week.





I had just finished it, and was at loose ends for a new project, when I got a box in the mail from Country Sampler. Circumstances prevented me from attending their Boxwood and Berries retreat the last two years, but I did buy one of the projects. This was a sewing box designed by Maggie Bonanomi, and I dove right in. Here's what I started with.



I cut everything out, and then glued the seam allowances around the outside to the cardboard.


Then I had to whip stitch the edge of the inside fabric to the edge of the outside fabric to join them.




Here's the heart pincushion, stuffed with wool and whipstitched to the fabric for the inside of the lid.



And here's what I ended up with. The cutest little heart shaped sewing box, with a pincusion inside the lid. I thought it was so cute I would make some as gifts, but after two days of hand sewing on it, I decided not. :) I love hand sewing, which was a good thing on this project.





Next weekend Sue Spargo is coming to town. Here are my blocks for the classes, that I showed you in an earlier post, with some threads and fibers I picked up for embellishment. Sue will have lots more things for sale at her trunk show to use, too. Her classes are always so much fun, and I always learn something new, so I'm raring to go!



11 comments:

Dorothy said...

I've been to both her classes. Sue Spargo is
wonderful. Her quilts are great and I like the pattern for her new one. Enjoy yourself.

Karen said...

Ouch! Ouch! I don't even like thinking about your accident.

I have been wondering what it would be like to attend the Boxwood & Berries event. Your project looks oh so good. I like visiting the Country Sampler website and seeing all the quilts.

Lori said...

What a fun applique block! At least one thing good came from your injury- time to sew:)
Lovely sewing box too. Have a terrific time at Sue's class.

Nancy said...

The block looks great, and the sewing box, too. You have been a busy stitcher!

Sheila said...

Lisa,
Hope you are healing! Wow, what an injury. Loved the series of photos you took of your sewing box. Looks like you have some great projects going.
Sheila H.

Sue said...

Love the little heart box- I wouldn't part with it either. Sometimes we have to make things just for us!!!!!!!

Beth said...

Lisa, your Roseville block is beautiful; how nice that some 'good' came of your tangle with the shoe rack :-) The fabric covered heart box is precious.

Take care!

Beth

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love the little heart box. Thanks for sharing!
Carolyn :)

The Quilted Finish said...

I think your little heart box is lovely, clever you. I did a 2 day workshop with Sue Spargo when she was in Australia, she's so inspiring. While I've been here I've looked through some of your older posts and I have so enjoyed the pictures of antique dolls ,quilts(especially)and coverlets. Thanks for posting such interesting and beautiful photos.

Amy said...

How did you get to buy a kit from Boxwood? I tried and they said you had to attend......Its a major trip from Texas.

judy12 said...

Help..When you do the whip stitch does Sue put the needle in the applique an then go down and come up in the background or the opposite...I've tried both ways and would love to know which was the Sue way
Judy