Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sarah Morrell and Ann Daggs

What do these two women have in common? Besides both being quilters, they both have the distinction of having their most famous quilt reproduced by Di Ford, an Australian quilt designer. I have written previously about the Morrell Quilt, made by Sarah Morrell, which resides in the Museum of American Folk Art. The Ann Daggs Quilt was made c. 1818, and resides in the Smithsonian. Here is a picture of the central medallion.



For a picture of the whole quilt, click here. It is pictured in Roderick Kiracofe's book The American Quilt, A History of Cloth and Comfort: 1750-1950.

I have finally ordered these two pattern from Threadbear in Australia, which carries Di Ford's patterns, and I can't wait until they arrive. I will be documenting my progress on this blog, so I hope you can follow me as I work on them. Now..........which one to start first?

Here is a picture of Di Ford's version, called Ann's Legacy.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Lisa, either one of these quilts looks like an immense project; will you do them entirely by hand?

Beth

Lisa said...

Beth, yes, I do all my quilt making by hand. I'm not kidding when I say it would take me twice as long to do it by machine! I find hand sewing so relaxing after a hectic day at work.

Dorothy said...

I made the Sarah Morrell quilt in Di's class and then I made her Phebe quilt and just now I'm making the Ann Daggs quilt. I live about 2 1/2 hours drive away from Threadbear but I go to the shop with friends quite regularly. Fortunately Di teaches at a local quiltshop.Start the Morrel quilt first and while your sewing it spend the time picking your fabrics for the centre applique on the other. Enjoy!

Lisa said...

Dorothy, thanks for the advice. How lucky to live near Threadbear, and to take a classes from Di! I see from your blog you like working in wool, too. :)

antique quilter said...

both of these quilts are on my list of quilts to make someday!
Boy I wish I could be lucky enough to live near Di ford! I will
Kathie

antique quilter said...

I will be looking forward to watching your progress on these quilts!
Kathie